Apple Pony Inn provides comfortable, inviting bed and breakfast lodging near Penn State, vacation attractions, outdoor adventure activities, farm & winery tours, restaurants, and things to do in the Happy Valley area surrounding State College, PA.
Happy Valley Adventure BureauMore Info
The most beautiful countryside in Pennsylvania! Catching the big Penn State Football game is only the beginning of all the great attractions and recreation you’ll find in Centre County. You’ll be amazed at the historic sites and tours, arts and entertainment, outdoor recreation such as hiking and mountain biking and world-class fishing streams. Fall in love with our fall foliage or build your trip around kids’ activities.Read More...
Pennsylvania State UniversityMore Info
Whether you’re interested in athletics, the arts, fitness, or food, Penn State offers something for everyone.Read More...
- Penn State Arboretum: Impressive beauty and fun for all ages
- Penn State All-Sports Museum: Honor PSU athletes, past and present
- Penn State Creamery: Best ice cream in town
- Palmer Art Museum: Check out the permanent collection, traveling exhibits, and awesome gift shop
- Penn State Golf Courses: Test your skills on the blue or white course
- Check out this Event Calendar for a listing of events.
Here’s a list of our local, favorite restaurants. Please check websites for hours of operation or reservations.Read More...
- Allen Street Grill – 814-231-4745, 100 West College Ave., State College, PA 16801 – Modern American cooking with steaks, seafood and craft cocktails.
- American Ale House – 814.237.9701,821 Cricklewood Drive, State College, PA 16803 – Sexy, cozy, and laid back. Menu changes with the seasons. Located in the village of Toftrees.
- Angelos Pizzeria – 814-466-1980, 603 Boal Avenue, Boalsburg, PA 16827 – Angelos pizzeria is a casual dining experience serving pizza, pasta, subs and salads.
- Axemann Brewery– 2042 Axemann Road, Bellefonte, PA 16823 – Axemann is a 27,000-square-foot production brewery and tap room in a revitalized metal factory. This is a great place to enjoy the outdoors or indoors with a large game room and lovely patios.
- Carnegie Inn – 814-234-2424, 100 Cricklewood Drive, State College, PA 16803 – Fine dining, award-winning chef, expansive wine menu. Check out the chef’s tasting!
- Duffy’s Boalsburg Tavern – 814-466-6241, 113 E. Main Street, Boalsburg, PA 16827 – Come in and enjoy a true Boalsburg landmark including casual and fine dining, a full-service bar, soothing atmosphere and rich history.
- Elk Creek Café & Aleworks – 814-349-8850, 100 West Main Street, Millheim, PA 16857 – A restaurant/brew pub/music venue that truly focuses on fresh, flavorful, authentic and local. A place rooted in Millheim, where good people gather around good conversations supported by great food, great ale, and original music.
- Faccia Luna – 814-234-9000, 1229 South Atherton Street, State College, PA 16801 – Revered by many locals as the best Italian restaurant with a casual atmosphere.
- Gigi’s Southern Table – 814-861-3463, 2080 Cato Ave, State College, PA – Casual, chic, farm-to-table, cozy seating areas, Southern-inspired food
- Happy Valley Brewing Company – 814-234-4406, 137 Elmwood Street, State College, PA 16801 – Creative cuisine, our personal favorite, great local beer, an old barn turned restaurant/craft brewery.
- Otto’s Pub and Brewery – 814-867-6886, 2235 North Atherton Street, State College, PA 16803 – Committed to fresh, local food and beverages, huge menu, Vegan options
- Plaza Mexican – 814-954-7451, 1550 S. Atherton Street, State College, PA 16801 – Mexican food, fresh cocktails, expansive menu and guacamole made fresh at tableside.
- Primanti Bros – 814-862-9367, 130 Hiester St, State College, PA 16801 – Founded in Pittsburgh’s historic Strip District in 1933, famous for delicious handcrafted sandwiches piled high with house-made coleslaw and perfectly seasoned fresh-cut fries. Try the fried zucchini planks.
- The Tavern Restaurant – 814-238-6116, 220 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801 – The Tavern, established in 1948, is a historical landmark on College Avenue in downtown State College. Elevated American comfort food and timeless cocktails.
- The Field Burger and Tap – 814-234-8000, 1 Country Club Lane, State College, PA 16803 – Fresh, local food, great burgers, extensive collection of craft beers.
Enjoy wine, beer or hard ciders at any one of the following twelve establishments on the Central PA Tasting Trail. Please check websites for hours of operation, some may have limited hours.Read More...
- L. Farm & Cidery 814 Cider Works – An amazing farm, views and breezes for days, and apple trees apple trees apple trees! Head on up to 814 and join the LeClair family as they share what great stuff the apple can give you. Most weekends involve music and great food.
- Axemann Brewery – When meandering through the windy road of the little area called Axemann, you can see the magic happening at what the local crowd knows as the old Cerro Metal Plant. Head into Axemann Brewery and belly up in their spacious accommodations. Watch a train, hear a creek and enjoy some of the freshest beer we have seen poured!
- Barrel 21 Distillery – The Barrel 21 menu features cuisine celebrating local resources, with menu inspirations from new cultures and cuisines brought to Central Pennsylvania from around the world. Creative and local formulas for future highlights.
- Big Spring Spirits – Stop by the beautiful unique tasting room to enjoy one of 40 craft cocktails, a spirit tasting, and/or a small bite from their locally-sourced, chef-prepared food menu. The coolest cocktails and an incredible community focus, Big Springs brings the spirit of people and celebration together.
- Boal City Brewing – Adventure and beer. Central Pennsylvania offers the natural resources and Boal City Brewing brings the craft beer. Located in Boalsburg, PA, we have consciously created a memorable customer experience at our Taproom and Beer Garden. You can walk or bike there from Apple Pony Inn!
- Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks – Elk Creek Café & Aleworks is a restaurant/brew pub/music venue that truly focuses on fresh, flavorful, authentic and local.
- Good Intent Cidery – Good Intent Cider is a family owned and operated cidery located in the heart of Pennsylvania apple country.
- Happy Valley Vineyard & Winery – Located in State College, PA, the vineyard at Happy Valley Winery produces specific varietals that transform well into their stylistic wines.
- Nittany Vineyard & Winery – At Mount Nittany Vineyard and Winery, we are dedicated to crafting exceptional local wine from their mountainside location in the heart of central Pennsylvania.
- Otto’s Pub And Brewery – Otto’s is fiercely committed to quality. Their beer is handcrafted with the finest ingredients available.
- Robin Hood Brewing Co. – Robin Hood Brewing Co. is a distributing brewpub located in Bellefonte, PA.
- Seven Mountains Wine Cellars – Creating great wines that will have you searching for new ways to describe what you taste!
- University Wine Company – A family owned Pennsylvania winery that loves producing fun, unique, high-quality wines for you to share with your family and friends.
- Keewaydin Cider Mill – The farm has been in existence and producing apples for over 75 years.
Whether you like to hike, skate, play golf, ride in a hot air balloon, or more, you will find exciting outdoor activities not too far from us.Read More...
- Purple Lizard Trail Maps: Finely crafted trail maps of Rothrock Forest, State College, and the surrounding region
- Tussey Mountain All Seasons: Ski, golf, skate, hit, or ride – take your pick
- Glider Rides: World-famous ridge, thermal, and wave soaring
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: Experience a memorable, peaceful ride over Happy Valley
- Penn’s Cave and Wildlife Park: Explore this cavern by boat, or take a walk on the wild side with a wildlife park tour
- Hike Mount Nittany: Eight hundred acres of preserved land and 8 miles of scenic, forested trails up the most historic mountain in our area.
Please check websites for hours of operation, some may have limited hours.Read More...
- Meyer Dairy – 814-237-1849, 2390 S. Atherton Street, State College, PA 16801 – Founded in 1887, the Meyer family has been serving the State College community for over 100 years. Enjoy ice cream, fresh milk, cheese, cream etc.
- Penn State Berkey Creamery – 119 Rodney A. Erickson Food Science Building University Park, PA 16802 – Over the last 150 years, the Creamery has been an important Penn State landmark and a world leader in dairy production and food science. Take a journey through time.
- Wasson Farms and Market – 814-237-2339 – 2545 Shingletown Rd State College, PA 16801 – Seasonal homemade ice cream, produce stand and pumpkin patch.
- Way Fruit Farm – 814-692-5211, 2355 Halfmoon Valley Rd, Port Matilda, PA 16870 – 6th generation family farm. Orchard and farmers’ market, on-site bakery, fresh-pressed cider and much more.